Always the default icon

Hello Martin,

the part with the ICON of your PyInstaller tutorial, has no effect. There is the default icon for the executeable and the default icon when the programm is running.

Sorry, I found out, that after renaming the executeable, the icon appears. So it must be some Windows caching problem.

The application icon is missing, cause the ressource is missing, in other words there is no .ico file in the dist-folder.

Hey @doev – I’ve seen this before myself. Did you get the correct icon in the end?

In the tutorial where you set the application ID changing this string should also prevent it using the cached icon, although that’s only really helpful while developing not in the distributed version.

myappid = 'com.learnpyqt.examples.helloworld'
    QtWin.setCurrentProcessExplicitAppUserModelID(myappid)  

The application icon is missing, cause the resource is missing, in other words there is no .ico file in the dist-folder.

Are you still having this problem?

Hello Martin,

I was not so far in the tutorial that I have used the code with the myappid. After I cleard the icon cache, I can reproduce the problem. So, I can’t say if the using the code had also helped.

But I can tell you, that I don’t need the tweak with the myappid. Everything is ok without using it.

But when I give the app no id, than only the instances that are startet from the same location are grouped in the toolbar. When I give an id, than all instances are grouped together, no matter from where the app was started (ide, dist-folder, onefile).

Hi Martin! I am having the same issue. I am following your PyInstaller tutorial book (version 1.0) and when I do:

try:
from ctypes import windll # Only exists on Windows.
myappid = “mycompany.myproduct.subproduct.version”
windll.shell32.SetCurrentProcessExplicitAppUserModelID(myappid)
except ImportError:
pass

the app icon on the taskbar does not change at all. I am using PyQt6 and Windows 11. I have looked for the possible answer on the web but all of them qoute your book solution (and they said it worked). Do you have any idea? thanks in advance