Can you develop web apps with pyQT? if not what is best for python web development?

if not what is best for python3 web development? Flask?
I have to make a restful web service on an embedded device.

Hi @David_Faith welcome to the forum!

PyQt is designed for desktop application development e.g. using your desktops GUI elements, rather than in a browser.

For web development with Python the two most common are Flask or Django. Flask is generally simpler/more lightweight but depends on what you need.

What sort of embedded device are you developing on? A Pi or something more limited?

You can’t use PyQt on mobile. But Qt itself can be used on mobile. It’s sad but python won’t be on mobile anytime soon according to Guido.

Hi, I’m developing on a MultiTech MTCAP AEP conduit. which is like a router, but for IoT. This model contains a linux offshoot called mLinux which was built using yocto for embedded systems. We are making custom applications in python to run on these boxes to provide network edge intellegence and handle various processes for routing messages in different protocols. We were using nodejs for some stuff, but moving to python. I think we are going to use Flask for the inbound api and should we need a GUI, we would want it to be responsive and mobile friendly as well as have good integration with Flask. So it looks like we will be using jinja templates, or stratight html/css when we need GUI access. It seems that pyQT is more for stand alone apps like control panels and such for stand alone machines or desktop applications.

Hey David,

I upvote for Django if we are talking about web development in Python. Flask is great as well for that purpose but I prefer Django. Whatever you opt for you should pay attention to your needs.

Really sad indeed! Guido and co should do something really fast. Python on mobile will make it all complete!