Why is the Qt Creator used in the tutorial?

Is there any advantage by using the Qt Creator instead of the Qt Designer?

Hey @doev good question – and the short answer is, not really.

Qt Creator is the complete IDE for Qt, which is made up of a number of separate tools (including Qt Designer) along with some project management functionality. The Qt Designer component of Qt Creator is identical to the standalone Qt Designer with a few very small exceptions (where you’re working with project managed resources for example). So you should be able to follow the instructions the same no matter which you have.

I think I wrote the tutorial in Qt Creator originally simply because that’s what I was using at the time. I plan to update that tutorial to describe Qt Designer instead (to avoid the confusion) and split out the “What is the difference?” explanation to a separate article.

1 Like

I’m kinda wondering about this as well, because it seems that writing a code in Qt Creator isn’t as convenient as it is in Visual Studio Code or PyCharm. For instance, there’s no Github Copilot in Qt Creator.

How do you suggest solving this gap?

Thanks

Hello @ruesxio !

Qt Creator (or Designer) is only for creating the UIs. The tutorial uses Qt Creator because it was one of the simpler ways to get a copy of Qt Designer (it’s bundled in) although there are other ways too (for example pyqt-tools package on PyPi or installed by default with PySide).

Qt Designer is a drag-drop editor to build your UIs visually.

While you can I wouldn’t recommend using Qt Creator for writing Python code. Stick with VS Code, or whatever you prefer.